Email going around with the following disinformation: (In italics my responses.)
“These figures reveal the huge black hole that our time disappears into when we visit Facebook, Twitter or YouTube or other social media sites.
- One in every nine people on Earth is on Facebook ( This number is calculated by dividing the planets 6.94 billion people by Facebook’s 750 million users) No they are not! About 1 in 5 Facebook “people” is in fact a company or something else other than a real homo sapiens.
- People spend 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook. No they don’t! Much like television, there is no way to measure when they are spending time on Facebook or watching television while the laptop has Facebook open in some browser window.
- Each Facebook user spends on average 15 hours and 33 minutes a month on the site. No way of knowing!
- More than 250 million people access Facebook through their mobile devices. And what a horrible user experience that is! What exactly are they doing other than checking up in case ‘something happened’?
- More than 2.5 million websites have integrated with Facebook. More than 2 million of those are completely automated through various other platforms which are also ‘integrated’ with loads of other services – it doesn’t mean anything.
- 30 billion pieces of content is shared on Facebook each month. And by category that would be…extremely interesting information as opposed to this! How much is video, how many original posts, how much news, etc.
- 300,000 users helped translate Facebook into 70 languages. Yeah right. It is the beginning of a new type of democracy I presume too…
- People on Facebook install 20 million “Apps” every day. And then never use them again most of the time!
- 190 million average Tweets per day occur on Twitter (May 2011) Of which most are highly concentrated by region, profession and other demographics which make them a pretty unrepresentative bunch in most countries.
- Twitter is handling 1.6 billion queries per day. And their servers overload on average how many times a day?
- Twitter is adding nearly 500,000 users a day. Rubbish. Many. Twitter users never actually interact with their Twitter account again.
- Google+ has more than 25 million users. Google+ has as many users as Google wants. They can just turn all Gmail users into G+ users without asking them, or force you to have G+ to access Google Maps or…many other typically Google “here’s something for “free” approach’…